Friday, September 12, 2008

I've been Googlized... are you next?

As a self acclaimed late adaptor, I finally gave in and adapted to Gmail. Admittedly, I love it. I've got my calendar (which is still a work in progress), my tabs set up with my favorite online websites set up set up on my iGoogle page, my Photos on Picasa (Google acquired product), YouTube (Google acquired product), my own Reader with articles marked and RSS feeds (more Google purchases), and I can even go to the Google Blog Search - where anyone can search and find the greatness of a new, growing website named Musings from Boulder. Google has made my life SO easy. I love Google.

I have a Google blog (the aforementioned Musings from Boulder). Soon I think my wife will have her own Blog. My friends have Blogs. Their friends have Blogs. All on Google (at least the cool ones).

Last night I heard about a new Google product in Beta. I HAD to have it. I now Google Chrome - the new Google search engine. The desktop item even looks like an old Simon Says game (see left). Did Google purchase Simon Says in order to use a similar looking logo of the old game, or did they just "creatively" come up with this all on their own? All I had to do to get it was go to Google.com and search "chrome". Not Chrome.com, just "chrome". (I hate Google for making my life so easy).

We discussed Facebook in my MBA program after reading a case study and discussed it's massive potential as a giant information aggregator based on its database of information and the question regarding if it will be the next Google or should sell now to Google for a huge payday. This is a very real time, real world discussion. The class unequivocally said that Facebook should not sell to Google and remain independent and fight the "man" (ie Google). The discussion ended and compliments of "I just love Google" and "Everything in my life is tapped into Google" comments flooded the room. (Google even tells me I am spelling Facebook wrong in this post! How's that for ruling the Internet).

So what is Google doing with this information? They seem to be involved and inside every part of my life. Do they know where I sleep and if I snore? Do they have me under satellite surveillance? Will they hunt and take down Bin Laden? Something tells me he Google's too and they know where he is. Will we look up at the moon someday just to see a big Google "G" on the it's surface? Will it change daily to go along with the day's theme on their browser? Can I trust them? I highly doubt it. They won't hand their information over to the US Government. They probably know too much and are invading my life. I absolutely hate Google now!!

So perhaps Google is the monster of today and we are all just living in Google's world and that is a very scary thought. On second thought, maybe I don't feel so bad anymore about being Googlized because it's made my life so much easier and of course, everybody is doing it. My Google calendar is telling me I have an appointment soon... gotta run.

No comments:

CU Buffs