Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Why I love Boulder.

I have a friend who wrote a "Why I love Boulder" blog recently. He did it as part of a bigger effort to promote Boulder.me as a business and technology start-up site. It's a great site but got me thinking about how I love living in Colorado and Boulder specifically.

Reason #1:
Right outside our front door we have skiing and outdoor activities within a few mile drive. It is definitely a perk to life and given the 36 week pregnant nature of my wife, I wanted to get a last spring ski day in.

So this past Sunday I went skiing at Eldora, about 21 miles west of Boulder. The drive goes up Canyon drive and through Nederland. It's an absolutely gorgeous drive and shows some of the best Colorado has to offer - winding river, beautiful mountains, a great waterfall and a lake up near Nederland. Plus Ned has one of my favorite micro-brew and BBQ places ever - Wild Mountain Smokehouse and Brewery. This place is great and is in Ned's little downtown (which also happens to be one of the last areas you can find where the town has decided not to have cell service). By all accounts it's a little hippy town. Ned also has Frozen Dead Guy days. Check out this link to see more about this unique, annual event. Frozen Dead Guy Days involves the city putting together a Coffin Race, people doing a Polar Plunge, and they even have a Parade full of floats.

The whole drive up I just keep thinking about how lucky we are and how great of a place we live. Part of my goal was to get a good day of spring skiing in and leave by 1:30 to get home in time for either a quick bike ride or a trip to the driving range. This was the end of my Spring Break from grad school and the thought of getting in "one last day" of outdoor activities prior to work, school and the forthcoming pregnancy seemed like a great day!

The spring skiing was actually really good in the morning and I got to rip off some diamond and double diamond runs, complete with moguls and trees. It was a blast and after the 16 inches of fresh pow-pow dumped three days prior, conditions were really great. So I headed home to enjoy the high-50's temps in Boulder and looked forward to hitting a few golf balls.

Lucky for me I ended up taking a break to eat a snack at home and waited for Melissa to get up from a nap. After she got up we talked for a bit and before we knew it we were running off to the ER and an ensuing c-section delivery....

No comments:

CU Buffs