Monday, May 18, 2009

Why I love Boulder...

Continuation of my personal (and biased series)
Reason #3: the Bolder Boulder

50,000+ people will run this year's Bolder Boulder. My first race was in 1998 and I think the participation topped out at 22,000 runners. Every year I have lived in Colorado since then, I have run the race. After graduating college I moved out of state and came back a few times to take part in the Bolder Boulder, just for fun.

I've never really done that "great" in this race. I finish in under an hour and enjoy every second no matter my running stamina. There are bands all throughout the course, locals cheering you on (often with a beer in their hand at 8am), belly dancers lined up in front of their studio, local high school bands playing some "pep" music and a wonderful tour of Boulder you could only get in a race like this!
My first year I ran next to a guy for most of the race that had a crab hat on. I've seen Batman, Superman, Abe Lincoln and other "noteable" figures running. The Smurf's showed up last year.

I remember first few years I ran it I'd see this guy who was offering "free bacon" to runners at around mile marker 1. Not too many brave souls took him up on his offer!

Last year, in 50 degree and overcast weather, I decided to run through a slip-and-slide around mile marker 3 in someone's front yard. It was refreshing but I was wet and cold the west of the way in squeaky shoes (not my best idea).

At the top of the last hill before entering the finish line, you get to see this statue. Due to the unavoidable pain at this point in the race, nobody who is trying for a personal best will notice this statue honoring legendary runner Frank Shorter. Not only did he win a gold medal in the Olympic marathon, he was a co-founder of the Bolder Boulder and won the race in 1981.

The race finishes in CU's stadium. By the end, the stadium is packed and everyone awaits for the post-race festivities to begin. There are parachueters that drop in while a little Lee Greenwood God Bless the USA blares, followed by ceremonies that honor Armed Service veterans and enough overall entertainment in and around the stadium to overwelm any family or racer.
This is a one of a kind race that we thoroughly enjoy. Come visit and take in the festivities with us - we'll always be in town this weekend!

Anyways, the race is next Monday and our family will be there (Dylan and Mom walking with Grandma, Grandpa and Uncle Gregg). We hope to see you on the course!!

No comments:

CU Buffs